This partnership allows you to pay and receive payments through PayPal from fellow Gummies, without having to carry cash in cases of face to face meetings.
In addition to that, linking your Gumtree account to PayPal also helps in disputing payments easily, directly from your Gummie’s account if you are involved in a fraud or scam transaction.
Upon successful linking, you can now pay and receive on Gumtree using PayPal.
- First you need to login to your account on the Gumtree app (Android or iOS).
- Then, tap on My Gumtree [icon name=”user” prefix=”far”] in the menu tabs below the screen.
- You will see the Settings button [icon name=”cog” prefix=”fas”] at the top right corner of your app, tap on it.
- On the Settings page, locate PayPal under ACCOUNT section, and tap on it.
- Then, tap on Link your PayPal on the next page.
- Log in to your PayPal account if you have one already, or sign up for a free account.
- Follow the next instructions on PayPal website.
- First sign in to your account by going to the site address gumtree.com.au/t-login-form.html.
- Click on the menu button at the top right corner of your screen.
- On the next page, look for Profile Settings in the menu, and click on it.
- Scroll down to Payments section and click on Link your PayPal. If you do not see PayPal under Payments, click on Show button beside it.
- On the pop-up banner, click on Link your PayPal if you already have an account. Otherwise, click on Sign up for PayPal to register an account for free.
- Follow the next instructions on how to link your PayPal to Gumtree on the PayPal website.
You might be unable to link PayPal to your Gumtree account if your PayPal account is not an Australian PayPal, or it is not verified. Gumtree is strictly for buying and selling in Australia. So, to prevent funds’ loss, make sure to use a verified Australian PayPal account.
To verify your PayPal, link your bank account or debit card to it. In rare cases, you may need to verify your identity using some documents like international passport, driver’s license or State ID; in order to lift some financial limits.
Yes, you have to. Note that you cannot use Gumtree if you are not in Australia, unless you use a VPN app, and there is someone in Australia that can help you perform the transactions (exchange of goods and services).
Advantages of paying with PayPal on Gumtree
It is quite safer to pay a seller on Gumtree with your linked profile because of the PayPal Gumtree buyer’s protection.
In a case where the seller sends a product to you after you have paid, and you discover it was not what the seller promised, you can easily dispute the payment.
Alternatively, you can dispute a payment and get your money back if you have paid someone, and they refused to send what you paid them for.
Overall, it is more advisable to meet in person with whoever you are dealing with on Gumtree. This will help to eliminate later complications.
When meeting, make sure you go with a friend, and meet in an open place to prevent in harassment or assault. Trade safe!
Note: It is not all Gumtree transactions that are covered by PayPal’s Buyer Protection. Why? PayPal does not have direct contact with the items bought.
If you encounter any problems trying to link your Gumtree account to PayPal, do not hesitate to drop a question in the comment section.